Dobie 8th graders prepare for high school sports

Zaryah Wray and Carina Ethier

Photo of Kalea Ajel taken by Adaiah Martinez

According to US news https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2011/09/02/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-22nd-straight-year  55.5 percent of all high school students play a sport.This means even more tryout. How do you better yourself for these competitive tryouts?

Kalea Ajel, 8th grader, future Steele high school Soccer, Cross- Country, and Basketball player says she is prepared because,”I’ve been to the camp and know the coaches expectations.”“If you don’t practice you don’t deserve to win,” said by Andre Agassi. Meaning that if you don’t practice and work towards making the team you will have a slim chance of actually making the team.

Having a goal set towards your sport can also help you improve. According to Human Kinetics http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/goal-setting-helps-athletes-perform ,the goal-setting process helps athletes understand where they are currently and also where they want to go. Many athletes who set goals do better in their career, if you don’t set goals you can’t get better.    

Motivation is the foundation of all athletic effort and accomplishments, said by psychology today article. ttps://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-power-prime/200910/sports-what-motivates-athletes . What motivates you to play? Having the right kind of motivation will get you farther. Kyle Cash, 8th grader is motivated by his family and love for the sport.  

“Today I will do what others won’t so tomorrow I can do what others can’t,” said Jerry Rice.  Doing something as simple as practicing 10 minutes a day, everyday can bring you farther than not practicing at all. If you don’t want to practice or try,  why are you playing this sport? Think about it, what really makes you want to play your sport?

About the Contributors
Carina Ethier, Staff Reporter

Hello, my name is Carina Ethier. I love to sing, dance, and color. My electives are Theater, Journalism, and Choir. I joined Journalism because I like...

Adaiah Martinez, Staff reporter

Hi my name is Adaiah Martinez. I enjoy singing, running, and cheerleading. The classes I take are choir, orchestra, journalism, and I plan on trying out...