Dobie welcomes students back to school

There are two lunch periods at Dobie this year. Both are crowded.

By: Abbie Travis and Chastity Hill

Monday August 22 was the first day of the 2016 – 2017 school year for Dobie Junior High Students.
     “I like Dobie because it has a lot more freedom,” said new seventh grade student Nate Glatt, “ I don’t like my schedule because one time one of my classes is upstairs, then downstairs, then all the way across the school.”
At Dobie, located in Cibolo, Texas, there are more than 1,200 students this year and that means some crowded hallways and lunch lines.
     “More people need to move to the regular lunch line and less kids need to be in the snack bar line,” said eighth grade student Mallory Anderson about the new, chaotic lunch lines that were added at school this year.
     There are over 31 million kids enrolled in school lunch programs in the United States. 11 percent of kids 12 through 17 repeat at least one grade. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2013, school supply shopping at clothing and bookstores amounted to 10.2 billion dollars.    
     There are over 7.4 million teachers and 2.9 work at elementary and middle schools. Each year, over 78.8 million kids, teens, and adults enroll in school. Sixty-seven percent of students enjoy school.
    “I like the nice teachers at Dobie, but I don’t like the second floor of the school,” said Reese Evans, a new incoming seventh grader. “I hate it!” He also responded to the question of how he likes waking up early.
    Overall at Dobie, there has been mixed emotions on the back to school subject. Some students are ecstatic to be back at school, however, others could care less or just hate school in general. Hopefully, this school year will be fun and successful for the brand new seventh graders and for the eighth graders that are soon to be graduates of Dobie Junior High School.