Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Aliana Graham and Jadyn Garrett

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Recently all students attended the disciplinary assembly hosted by administrators that covered various rules and expectations.  What sparked a lot of conversation in the audience was the dress code. It was quite controversial because there are a lot of different opinions. We believe that the dress code is unfair.

We believe that young women are specifically targeted because there are only so many dress code violations for the young men that attend our school. Female students continue to be sexualized and shamed for the clothing that they feel most comfortable in. It has been understood among most female students of the reasons that dress code is in place, but still do not agree with a substantial amount of the policies.

We went around school asking some of our male students if they think that the dress code is targeting our female peers. Trevor Thomas, 8th grader, said “Yes, I feel like they need to lay off the girls a little bit,”

The administration says the dress code is to prepare young woman for a future career. Abra Sinayoko, 8th grader, thinks differently. “I agree, but every job is different,” she said.

Jade Munson, 8th grader,  agrees completely. “You can’t show up to work in a crop top and short shorts,” she said.

Mrs. Cerulli agrees with most students to some extent. She said “I don’t feel like the girls are targeted, I just feel like the clothes can be more exposing.” She feels like teacher dress code isn’t more lenient than student dress code,“ I think that both teacher and students are equal.”

This is a topic that students, nor teachers can completely agree on. We chose to write this particular articles so that both sides could come to a conclusion. Hopefully we can consider each others opinions, and ideas to solve this mutual problem.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair”

1. Amiah Briseno on September 28th, 2018 8:40 am

I agree with yalls POV great job speaking your mind !

2. Sydney Jones on September 28th, 2018 10:51 am

I agree with this and i love the detail

3. Alaina Smith on September 28th, 2018 11:13 am

I agree totally with the dress code here at Dobie. Some of the things girls where to school aren’t really appropriate anymore. Dress code for girls our age wasn’t too big a problem thirty years ago , but in today’s society things have become more about being politically correct and less about respecting those around you and those in authority. I’m sorry to say that I can’t agree with much of what you believe on this topic, but keep on writing Dobie.

4. Rebecca Ryan on September 28th, 2018 1:01 pm

i agree and i bought a pair of jeans that i loved and got dress coded cause it had a little tare on my thigh.
    This article is good and needs to be shown to Ms.Simmon’s.

5. Lyna Gonzalez on September 28th, 2018 1:02 pm

This article is very well written and i like how you ask students of both genders and teachers. I think that dress code is personally aimed to girls because our clothes are move exposing if they were preparing us for the work place we mostly likely wouldn’t wear joggers.

6. Amara McCollum on September 28th, 2018 1:05 pm

I love your confidence. This article is very strong. Great job!!

7. Amara McCollum on September 28th, 2018 1:06 pm

I love your confidence!! Very strong article. great job

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Personal View

Personal View: Is UIL for you?

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

News

Are Dobie lunches healthy?

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Importance of the First Amendment

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Personal View

PV: What is America?

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Trump is dividing the United States

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Personal View

PV: Why Kindness Matters

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Personal View

PV: Getting a schedule change isn’t so bad

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Letters to the Editor

Letter To The Editor: The Press is Essential for the Government

• Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair

Personal View

PV: The difference between 7th and 8th grade

• Personal View

Personal view: all about my chickens and why I love them

Editorial: Dobie’s dress code is unfair