Why you should join UIL

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why you should join UIL

Lauren McClellan, Staff Reporter

Academics UIL Season has begun, and it’s time for students to begin working hard for the competitions that will take place later in the year.Students have chosen their UIL Academics events and started practices, but there’s still time to join. Practices are held after school at various times; Meets are held on Saturdays and last most of the day. Students compete and hang out while they wait for the award ceremony at the end of the day. The first UIL Meet will be at Corbett Jr. High School on Feb 2, 2019.

The benefits to doing a UIL event are endless; students can get the opportunity to learn about things they probably wouldn’t have, you can find out your strengths and weaknesses, meet new people, and face a new challenge.

Mrs.Reed, an 8th grade science teacher who coaches one of the events, said that UIL helps students “practice skills for the STAAR test.” She also said that all the students have a lot of fun.

Emma Dease,an 8th grade student who  did ready writing last year, suggests that students should participate in at one UIL event because “…it’s a great experience.” She also said that the  concession stand had great food!

Kayla Looney, another 8th grade student who did UIL last year, said that she plans on participating in UIL this year as well.

UIL Events include: Calculator, Dictionary, Impromptu Speaking, Listening, Mathematics, Modern Oratory, Number Sense, Oral Reading, Ready Writing, Science, Social Studies, and Spelling.

Practices began the first week of November. Practice information includes:

Monday

• Science – Mrs.Montgomery – 3:20 -4:15
  • Number Sense –  Mrs. Ledwik – 3:20-4:15

Tuesday

• Impromptu Speaking and Oral Reading – Mrs. Swanson – B123- 3:45 – 4:45
  • Math – Mrs. Garcia – A207 –  3:30-4:15
  • Ready Writing and Modern Oratory  – Mrs. P.J. – B131 – 3:45 – 4: 30

Wednesday

Thursday

• Dictionary Skills – Mrs. Wetz – B125

Friday

• Calculator – Mrs. Bagley- 3:25- 4:00

The second meet will be at Dobie 2 on Feb 9. The Tournament of Champions meet will be Feb 23 at Oak Run Middle School in New Braunfels. To qualify for the Tournament of Champions—a competition of the best of the best competitors — students must earn a ribbon or medal for first place through sixth place in their event.

According to the UIL Texas website, the University Interscholastic League offers the most comprehensive literary and academic competitive program in the nation. It offers more than any other UIL division in terms of activities, with 22 high school and 18 elementary and junior high contests. More than a half million students participate in UIL academic contests.  

Dobie’s district competition participants include: Canyon Middle School, Churchill Middle School, Corbett Jr. High, Spring Branch Middle School, Oak Run Middle School and New Braunfels Middle School, Smithson Valley Middle School.

For more information: