PV: The STAAR test is good for students

Mariah+Biache

Silvia Makori

Mariah Biache

Mariah Biache, Staff Reporter

Texas has done an amazing job for creating a test for all students in school. It is direct and not complicated at all. You are given four hours to finish testing, and if you fail to finish in enough time they give you more. Seems simple, yes?

Every state in America tests every kid’s academics in some kind of test. In Texas, ours is the STAAR. STAAR stands for State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness. Wikipedia’s website they put is like this, “ STAAR (/stɑːr/ STAR), are a series of standardized tests used in Texas public primary and secondary schools to assess a student’s achievements and knowledge learned in the grade level. It tests curriculum taught from the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, which in turn is taught by public schools. The test used to be developed by Pearson Education every school year, although the most recent contract gave Educational Testing Service a role in creating some of the tests,[1] under the close supervision of the Texas Education Agency.”

Though many students dred they time of the year for the STAAR, it has its benefits in many ways. According to TestingMom.com article by Karen Quinn, posted November 12, 2014 says, “However, many believe the STAAR is far more effective and easier than its previous counterparts. To begin with, the test is more organized. Students have to answer items under a specific subject area.” and continues to go on to say, “Students who don’t perform well in class but get a high score in their Texas STAAR exam have a better chance of getting a high final grade. It’s because their score contributes 15% of their grade in each subject area. It provides students the opportunity to increase their grades or pass their subjects.”

The STAAR has its ups and downs, but benefits students in many ways. So students need to calm down. We are in a room for 4 hours, we just need to suck it up. It’s not like we’re going to do it everyday of the year, no it’s just for one day, what’s so bad about that. Texas new test is a quick and fast process that we just need to bare through, life isn’t a smooth ride.

KARA BELEW, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR (The Hill), doesn’t completely agree with Texas testing procedures. “Nobody relishes big-government testing of children, and no test is perfect. But we desperately need an independent check on our Texas schools. Texas public schools educate 5.4 million kids; yet 606,000 of them are assigned with little choice to traditional schools that are graded D or F,” she wrote in her article.

Our government has done nothing to use students by testing in my personal opinion. Texas system in testing us is probably one of the smartest testing system I’ve heard of. They train the teachers to make everything will run smoothly. Now that is a real good system.