Personal View: Counselors are important to the Dobie community

Kara Brown, Staff Reporter

Here at Dobie Junior High, we rely on our counselors heavily. They comfort us when we’re having a rough day, and they guide us through situations in which we are unsure how to act. That’s why we even have an entire week set aside to celebrate them and everything they do.

National School Counseling Week 2020, “School Counselors: Helping Build Better Humans,” was celebrated from Feb. 3–7, 2020, to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors within U.S. school systems. National School Counseling Week, sponsored by the American School Counselor Association, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career. National School Counseling Week is always celebrated the first full week in February.

The attention is not misplaced, either. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), 50% of all teens of 14 years old or younger have already developed a mental illness, and 75% of young adults under 24 also struggle with mental disorders. Given this, it’s clear that many teens and young adults need someone to reach out to about this, whether this be a parent, religious leader, or, of course, a school counselor.

School counselors are a great source of guidance, especially because teens don’t typically like exposing their personal life to their parents. While parents often get upset, misunderstand, or punish you, counselors simply listen and help you through whatever troubles you. According to ABC News, many “teens who felt more alienated… were more likely to have high levels of anxiety by 12th grade.” However, those who communicated more with trusted adults did not develop (or developed minimal) mental health issues.

For example, once, a friend of mine had had a rough day. She’d had a fight with her parents the night before, and they were still angry at her. Her phone had been taken away, and one of her classmates had bullied her constantly in P.E. She was near tears at lunch, so I told her to go talk to the counselor. She decided she might as well, and met with her during Advisory, and the next period, she seemed much better; when I asked her how it went, she said she felt better about things and that she might even try to talk to her parents that night. Talking to her counselor had given my friend the confidence she’d needed to go on.

Here at Dobie, many students have experienced similar situations, each typically with a satisfactory solution, and, for the most part, they revere their counselors’ hard work. Said Skyler McKee-Foerster, an 8th grader who attends Dobie, “I appreciate the counselors because they’ve been here for me… they’re always there to talk.”

It’s true; no matter where we are in life, Ms. Navarro, Mrs. Ruhd, and Mrs. Schroeder will always be there to help us through our middle school years. For that, we are all thankful.