Personal view: There are problems with the dress code

Gavin Wakeman, Staff reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Hi my name is Gavin and today my article is about the dress code. Many students and parents are not OK with it. Many parents were upset because they had already bought their kids’ clothes and were not notified of the clothes that were not allowed to be worn at school. Many could argue that they were notified by looking at the dress code on the Dobie Website.  Others, on the other hand, may not have had an computer and did not have access to the internet.

While the student handbook talks about the dress code and what can and cannot be worn, administrators need to take into consideration that not everyone can afford certain clothes.  For instance,  on page pg.60 it says, ‘Excessively worn, torn, frayed, oversized or long clothing is not permitted.” What if that’s all they have?

Not everyone can afford to have new clothes that are their size. Sometimes they are given hand me down clothes or clothes that were donated and they may not be the perfect fit.  Will this be taken into consideration? Will these kids be singled out because their parents or guardians can’t buy them what’s required?

I believe that clothes should be one of those things that kids should not have to worry about.  If they are wearing clean clothes and are confident in what they are wearing, then there is no need to make the dress code so specific. Then they are able to concentrate on the school subject which is more important.  The less they have to worry about trying to have specific clothing, the more time they can dedicate to learning and enjoying school.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Personal view: There are problems with the dress code”

1. Evan Bylsma on April 5th, 2018 11:05 am

I like your opinion about the dress code and I think it should be fixed

[Reply]

2. Isabella Hunter on April 5th, 2018 12:47 pm

I like your stance on dress code and it should definitely be fixed this article is very well written and I like that you have an example.

[Reply]

3. Kristen Howard on April 5th, 2018 12:50 pm

This is a great article, really good points

[Reply]

4. Alessandra Aladzeme on April 5th, 2018 12:51 pm

I like how you point out that some students can’t afford the clothing that is in the dress code and that the clothing of the students should show their personality.

[Reply]

5. Carina Ethier on April 5th, 2018 12:54 pm

This is very true they are constantly taking people out of class, which basically takes away their education, to fix their clothing and sometimes the clothing looks like it should be no big deal. I really like this article.

[Reply]

6. Jordyn Pollard on April 5th, 2018 12:57 pm

This is a great article and, you have a really great opinion on the dress code.

[Reply]

7. Erynn Sanders on April 5th, 2018 1:58 pm

I think this a great article. Very well written and great points.

[Reply]

8. Kya Logan on April 5th, 2018 2:26 pm

I agree they need to dial down with the dress code.

[Reply]

9. Kelsea on April 5th, 2018 2:46 pm

This is a very great point and more people(adults) should think about this more

[Reply]

10. sandra on April 5th, 2018 2:58 pm

You made very good points.

[Reply]

11. Ariana Rojas on April 6th, 2018 2:05 pm

I really enjoyed your article, I never really thought about the dress code but I very much agree with you and the points you made.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right

TV Review: Re-watching addiction is worth it

• Personal view: There are problems with the dress code

Personal View

Personal View: Water bottles should be allowed in classrooms

• Personal view: There are problems with the dress code

Personal View

Personal view: Pill bugs the most underrated creatures

• Personal view: There are problems with the dress code