Dobie News

The Student News Site of Dobie Junior High School

Dobie News

Dobie News

Once upon a TikTok

TikTok Teachers of Dobie

“More Passion, More Passion, More Energy, More Energy, More Footwork, More Footwork.” According to Sprout Social, “TikTok is the fastest-growing social media platform we’ve seen thus far.“

While students mainly use the app, you can find teachers filming “Get Ready for a Day in the Life as a Teacher,” or sharing lesson plan ideas. Not only is TikTok a way to connect with others, but it also gives teachers around the world a way to share their ideas. Ms. Economidis is one of the many teachers who participate in creating TikTok content, carrying 30.4K followers and 1.2M likes. “I’ve been on TikTok since I was in college,” Ms. Economidis says. “I first downloaded it as a joke, but I didn’t start making TikToks until I was a student teacher. Since then, I’ve been making teacher content.” 

Teachers believe that TikTok gives them a way to meet students where they are and then engage them in deeper learning through other approaches. Of course, TikTok is a way to find new ideas, but there is also a use for other social media in general.  Teachers use social media to enhance student participation, communication and even just having more of a connection with students. 

Teachers that use TikTok post a variety of content, such as classroom tours, “My sticker chart that I have is an idea I got from TikTok,” Mrs. Economidis says. While some people may believe that having too much decoration in a classroom can result in distractions, others believe that it can provide a more positive “cozy” environment for students.

“TikTok gives me inspiration for positive rewards and even lesson ideas for my classroom.” Ms. Economidis says. “I think it is funny to watch other teachers imitate their students because it feels like I am not alone in the classroom. Random strangers can relate.”