Dobie News

The Student News Site of Dobie Junior High School

Dobie News

Dobie News

Life since Uvalde

Eighth grader Jamila
Corpus shows her ID to her
teacher, which is one of the security
measures being readily enforced after the Uvalde incident.
Noah Reyes
Eighth grader Jamila Corpus shows her ID to her teacher, which is one of the security measures being readily enforced after the Uvalde incident.

According to wisevoter.com, Texas has the second highest school shooting rate in America. However, there is one school shooting that happened in Texas that shocked every other school system in the United States, Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas.

Right after this horrifying incident, schools increased security measures to avoid future incidents. “The security has gotten more serious by having students use ID’s in every class and school officers patrolling the school,” eighth grader Nadia Salinas says. These new security additions have not only changed the routine of some students, but also changed some of the students’ feelings towards school and especially ID’s.

“Students are more frustrated because the ID’s break easily and get lost easily,” eighth grader Sophia Perez says. It’s easy to forget that all of these additions were meant to prevent incidents from happening again and to increase our safety. It’s hard to find the sweet spot in between satisfying students whilst also making school a safe environment for education.

Ever since Uvalde, it’s hard to imagine the panic school systems around Texas and other states felt and overall they have been recovering nicely. On the contrary, “I think the school system has been more proactive and has done a better job of checking ID’s and stopping parents from entering the school,” eighth grade English teacher Shannon Mansfield says.

View Comments (1)